Monday, January 9, 2006

Cracker challenge

Have you ever spent $4-5 on a small box of "Artisan Crackers?" You get like 5 crackers, which means they're about a buck each. Ridiculous. How hard can crackers be to make, "artisan" or not? (And what is the deal anyway with the word Artisan on food products, which automatically means they're twice as expensive. I think it just means it's made by a person rather than a machine, and sometimes people make mistakes, which means the food item turns out different each time, and is therefore "artistic." So basically we are paying extra for something that is potentially derived from a screwed-up recipe.)

Anyway, I'm gonna try to make my own crackers. We have a monster rosemary shrub in the back, so there's no shortage of "Organic Rosemary." The other ingredients on the box are all cheap: "Organic Unbleached Flour, Organic Semolina Flour, Water, Canola Oil, Olive Oil, Sea Salt, Baking Powder."

If I figure this out, I'll alert the world. Some people Save The Whales. I'll just stop people from spending a buck a cracker.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

50 cents a cracker. I ate half of them this weekend.