Sunday, April 5, 2009

My legs hurt

Not really, but do remember when you were a kid and your legs ached for no apparent reason? "Growing pains," mom said. "It just means you're getting taller."

So apparently I'm getting taller, in a sense. I've got stacks of cds around me, and I'm randomly plugging one in after another and ripping them to my computer. But it makes me sad, or melancholy, or angsty. While I'll be gaining space on the shelves, not to mention clearing up those damn cluttery jewel cases, I won't be able to visually scan my cds in the same way, finding the right band or singer or musical style that fits my mood, the recipe, the day. And what if my computer gets stolen? Or what if I don't have enough memory for all of them (I think Ray said this was not at all an issue). And this is going to take me for-frickin-ever to finish. Like months and months. Maybe even a year or more.

"You could just leave them as is," Ray said, trying to be helpful.

"No," I sighed. "I've gotta do it eventually." And so I sit, organizing my life and space along with my music, listening to 3 Mustaphas 3 and trying to keep this silly project in perspective. But it still aches...

Once I rip the cd, do I keep just the cd in a case, in it's original case, get rid of it entirely (sell it to Easy Street)? Should I do this in some kind of order so after a few weeks I remember what's already been ripped?

This is ridiculous. I think I just need to go to bed and figure this out later. Right after Dido.

No comments: