Monday, January 5, 2009

Wrapping up break

Today's the first day of the new quarter, and for the next 45 minutes I don't have any obligations for the next 10 weeks (that's an exaggeration, but let's roll with it). Christmas break was fun, though not entirely relaxing what with the snow days and such. You know it's time to get back to real life when...

1. August woke up screaming on Saturday night. I went in to rock and console her. I tried to pick her up, but she resisted. I finally lifted her out of her crib and she continued to riggle and cry loudly. We sat down to rock...more crying. I asked her if she wanted Elmo, water? She kept crying, and finally screamed angrily, "Guh wah DAADAAA!" It was all I could do to keep from cracking up. Thankfully Ray came in moments later, and as soon as he lifted her onto his shoulder, she stopped crying and fell asleep.

2. Last night all August wanted to do is climb on the couch and watch the snow pile up. "Snow? Snow! Snow. Snow-snow-snow..."

3. This morning we had an end-of-break fireworks display. I put Aug in her high chair in the kitchen and then turned on the light. Snap crackle pop...sparks shot out of the overhead light fixture. I jumped about 3 feet in the air and Aug started to cry (luckily her high chair was a couple feet away). Needless to say we're getting a new light fixture. Ray found 2 live wires exposed in the old one. Yikes.

No comments: