Friday, October 20, 2006

Fat Camp for the brain

I just got back from a conference on aphasia research. It was fascinating...many of the presenters were researchers and/or neurologists who had been doing a very specific slice of research very deeply for years, or even decades. Because of this, much of what they had to say was way over my head. I didn't mind though...my brain likes a workout even if it doesn't really know what it's doing. Exausting, but pleasantly so, like a good uphill hike, or an inclement weather swim after taking Tylenol PM.

It reminded me of my last Fat Camp for the brain, which was a conference on estate taxes. This seems like a lifetime ago, though it was only a few years back. My brain liked this workout so much that I actually considered estate law as a career. What the hell was I thinking?!

Anyway, I'm glad I've landed on subject matter that is actually interesting to me and I'm looking forward to the next opportunity to make my brain run around in circles all day.

No comments: