Wednesday, March 29, 2006

It's official (pretty much)

I'm doing the Danskin triathlon in August. I've committed to a training group, and my registration is pending. And since I'm now typing about it here, it will be so.

So next steps are figuring out my training schedule. I'm going to do 2 of 3 components for each workout. Since I usually swim about 1700 for a workout, I'm going to concentrate that into a vigorous 1200 (the race is 800), and then bike or run for the other 1/2 of my workout. I'm really worried about the running part, as I have NEVER been a good runner. Ever. Even when I was playing lacrosse I still preferred sprints and loathed distance running. My training buddies suggested working up to 3 miles (3 miles is a lot for me!) using intervals...1 minute run, 1 minute walk...2 minute run, 1 minute walk, and so on. That seems doable. And I also need to get my bike tuned up and get some road tires.

The only other experience I have with triathlon is when I did the swimming portion for a team a few years ago. Like everyone else, I had my race number written in big black pen on my calves the day before. Then I went to a baby shower. I'm concerned that I ruined some nice lady's furniture with black pen smudges, try as I might to not let my legs touch anything. Bloody inconsiderate if true, eh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you. Inspired by your plan, I am going to register for IFOCE and begin my training immediately.

http://www.ifoce.com/