Sunday, March 12, 2006

Seeking permission to un-PDA

I've had a handheld Palm device for several years now, mostly to keep track of my calendar, address book, and now as a MP3 player. The only thing is...I still miss my paper calendar. I've missed it since the day I got my first pda 3 or 4 years ago. But how could I? The Palm does everything...repeats regular meetings, syncs with online calendars, and it's all compact and efficient and...I should love it. But, truth is, I don't...and I've stuck with it because rationally I am clearly a silly fluff head for thinking that paper calendars are preferrable when I already own the future of calendaring as we know it.

Durn it all, I don't care. I am going to buy a new, spiral bound calendar and just forget the one that requires that semi-funny alphabet and a stylus. I want to flip pages to see the entire year, and use a real pen to track my appointments and activities, jot down people's phone numbers, and write out good quotes and to do lists. I am justifying this radical move by planning for a cell phone that can serve as my address book and MP3 player. Since Verizon is "giving" me a new phone in a few months, I will just upgrade to the one with the extras, and feel that much better about my regression to a paper calendar.

Gawd, it's just ridiculous to have to psyche myself up to buy something so simple. It reminds me of the 4 years it took me to buy myself a salt shaker/pepper grinder combo.
______________

Uh oh...what if the phone can't sync to my laptop contact database. Maybe this isn't such a good idea after all.

1 comment:

dee said...

You'll be happy to know that I'm right there with ya. I still hand write my to-do lists. Yes, I do have them on my computer as well, but those are just so humungous so I write down the ones I really, really need to do to help me focus. Plus, I'm afraid that if I type EVERYTHING nowadays, my penmanship will decline in prettiness due to lack of practice.