Thursday, March 2, 2006

Lant

It's the second day of Lent, and giving up refined sugar has already been an illuminating experience. I didn't realize how often I use sugar as a energy crutch or to ward off boredom. This whole Lent thing is pretty cool.

But why oh why is it a Catholic holiday? Actually, what I mean to say is, why is a religious holiday the only time that we have a structured opportunity to go without something. I'm not Catholic in the slightest (except for liking music played in a cathedral), but Lent is the best opportunity to experience something being gone, especially since others are participating as well.

As the most wealthy and indulgent nation in the world, I think America really needs (more than Hummer's new H3) to experience going without. We've got lots of holidays, but all seem to have not so subtle consumption components.

Valentine's Day: Love is good. Eat chocolate.
St. Patrick's Day: The Irish are cool. Drink beer.
Easter: God'n'Jesus'n'stuff AND/OR cute bunnies and chicks. Eat chocolate.
Cinco de Mayo: Eat Mexican food. Drink Mexican beer.
Solstice: Ride naked in the parade (HEY...there we go! Going without!)
Fourth of July: America rocks. Eat from the grill.
Halloween: Scary is fun. Eat candy. Eat more candy.
Thanksgiving: I'll have seconds, thanks.
Christmas: Baby Jesus, gimme a Nintendo DS.

So other than Summer Solstice (in Fremont, for a few people), we're all about consuming for our holidays. Yes, true, food is the universal shared experience and all that, but could we have just one holiday for giving up food or something equally basic? Even if it's just a day of fasting, or a week of no soda pop or car.

Maybe we could officially copy Lent from the Catholics, and call it something else, like Lant. And can you imagine what kind of conversations this would yield. If everyone gave up something for Lant, something simple but significant, it would fuel interesting conversations at work, raise awareness about the many who go without all the time, help the fat and unhealthy jump start better consumption habits. And, on top of all that, give corporate America a swift kick in the tush. Aw yeah!

I think I'd like to incorporate Lant into my annual calendar. I'm so curious to see how I feel about sugar on April 16, especially since I hear sugar-free chocolate bunnies are quite nasty.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gave up caffiene. It's also scary to think about how much caffiene is part of American culture. I'd write a big ole post on it like you, but I haven't got the energy right now...

Anonymous said...

Great idea! What would I give up...

Mt. Dew?
Coffee?

My computer? (better make it a summer thing, then - school and all)

I KNOW. My pillows. I own and use more pillows than the legal limit allows. I won't spend the night anywhere without taking at least three of them with me.

Tv, music, and books. ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

Salt. Oh, the hardship!

TELEPHONES!! All of 'em. Wait...I kinda want to do that.

Showers. Oy.

(Speaking of which, I'd better grab one of those, ten books, jump in my car with my cellphone, and get to school...)