Sunday, September 17, 2006

Movie rating

Yesterday I saw "The Last Kiss," the newest Zach Braff-y Garden State-esque movie. I added it to my movie list but I have no idea how to rate it.

I saw the movie with a friend, who asked me "How do your movie ratings work anyway?" Um, excellent question. I told her that it's some combination of my level of enjoyment with the movie AND how "good" I believe the movie is...writing, directing, acting, etc. I gave "Good Night and Good Luck" the highest rating yet, though I would not want to own this movie and watch it over and over. But, indeed it was a remarkable film that I certainly enjoyed. Another highly rated movie, "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire," is not the most artistic movie in the world, but I believe it was extremely well-done. More importantly, it was so entertaining that I've added it to my "comfort movie" collection, i.e. the ones that I will watch over and over again.*

"The Last Kiss" does not nicely fit into my flawed but useable rating system. While the story was compelling and thought-provoking, the movie had a lot of weaknesses and holes. It was not a great movie in the conventional sense, but the way they tackled some of the subject matter and concluded the main storyline was evocative and quite true to life. I enjoyed watching it -- was in fact glued to my seat -- and Zach Braff is cute.

So, I rated this movie on a split scale...5.5 for writing & direction and 7.5 for enjoyment and mental chewiness.

_______________

COMFORT MOVIES in alphabetical order, incomplete list
Austin Powers, The Barefoot Contessa, Big Fish, Bollywood/Hollywood, Carlito's Way, Contact, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Elizabeth, Gladiator, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Lord of the Rings trilogy, Lost in Translation, Monsoon Wedding, Napoleon Dynamite, Pride and Prejudice (BBC 1995), The Princess Bride, Princess Mononoke, Rushmore

2 comments:

dee said...

Oh my. I just chuckled out loud because I looked at your rating of The Last Kiss before I finsihed reading your blog. I don't have a rating scale of my own so all I'll say for now is that I enjoyed watching it. And yes, Zach Braff is cute.

Anonymous said...

Tammy told me she saw the worst movie ever, "The last kiss." All I could remember that it had made your blog and seemed to get a positive rating so I had to go back and check. Tammy went to see it with her Bible Study friends. If you'd been in different company would your rating have differed? Or is Tammy just being... Tammy?

-Jana