Thursday, November 2, 2006

Spelling problems

With the exception of my personal trip-up words ("address" always looks wrong, and "hors d'oeuvres" is a doosey), I usually spell things correctly, even when I'm in a hurry. I've noticed in the last 6 months or so I've been making the strangest spelling errors, usually while taking notes in class.

If I'm writing down a phrase, I will anticipate the next word, and go ahead and skip to it. Or I will leave out letters. Or I just won't remember how to spell something. These kind of errors really bug me, so I go back, erase, rewrite, and then I've missed a bit of the class.

Trying to write: "right-side..."
Actually write: "righs..."

Trying to write: "formant transition"
Actually write: "formatt..."

Trying to write: "susceptible"
Actually write: "sesseptable"

Trying to write: "assistive"
Actually write: "assitive"

Trying to write: "the child..."
Actually write: "thc..."

Maybe it's just old age. If that's the case I'll hate to see what I'm doing when I'm actually old.

1 comment:

janie said...

Hey, that reminds me. I worry all the time about how bad it'll be when I get older... good lord, I accidently threw away a prescription yesterday, and had to dig it out of the garbage. Coffee grounds were all over the package. Pretty gnarley.

I think that once we turn, you know, the corner, some of us might have a special understanding of each other - like a language all of our own. At least I hope that's how it works out.