Monday, January 28, 2008

Step 5

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

On Saturday I had brunch with my sister at Cafe Flora. I couldn't decide between the Gingerbread Pancakes and the Pear-Walnut Sandwich. The gingerbread was clearly in the lead in my mind, but fearing it to be a caloric monstrosity, I decided to place the decision in the hands of our waitress:

"So, what's better...the gingerbread pancakes or the pear sandwich?"

"Well, they're both good, but I'd go for the pear sandwich. It's amazing and the gingerbread is a bit on the heavy side for me."

"Ah, that's what I thought. I'll go with the sandwich."

The pear sandwich was good. It was all open-faced with nice mixed greens on the side, but here's the problem: I am still thinking about gingerbread pancakes. And today I looked online for the recipe. It made me realize that I have a serious problem with gingerbread. Every winter, I seem to be obsessed with it. This is the umpteenth winter I've poured over gingerbread recipes, like these "Gingerbread Straws" I am totally making soon, or simple gingerbread cake. I remember I once made gingerbread waffles with blueberry syrup. They require a 3-hour nap immediately following breakfast.

So, I admit, I am seasonally addicted to gingerbread. My other...er, okay, one of my other seasonal addictions, mangos, is at least a bit more healthy.

No comments: