Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Top 100 Books

I just finished The Golden Compass, and wanted to read something different before getting into the rest of the trilogy. I bought Reading Lolita in Tehran a month or two ago and started it on Sunday. It reminded me (as the title should have when I picked it up) that I have never read Lolita, or anything by Nabakov. Actually, I don't think I've read anything by any of the notable Russian novelists.

It's been a few years since I looked at the top 100 books list. I've always intended to slowly read through the list, but while I've been in school it's been hard to justify (or concentrate on) fiction. Since I'm not in school this year, I should try to get more of these read.

I noticed the list has changed a little bit, and includes more pop titles than I remember. I can check off thirty-five out of 100, which ain't great, but I guess it could be worse.

So, I'm shelving the Reading Lolita book for now, and I picked up two classics today that I'm ashamed to admit I've never read: the Brontes' Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre. After that, it's all Russians, baby.

No comments: