Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Pathetic example of a devotee

I love Jane Austen. She is definitely my favorite author.

But here's a sad confession: I've never read Sense & Sensibility. Even sadder, I thought I had until I turned the subtitles on the latest movie version of the book. I thought to myself "The subtitlers keep spelling Edward Ferris's name wrong." But it kept happening -- "Ferrars" -- until I realized that's how it's actually spelled.

I guess to the American ear, the British pronunciation of Ferrars sounds like Ferris, and this combined with Ang Lee's excellent adaptation of the novel 10 years ago (which I've watched fully 12 times, probably more)...well, I though I'd been there/done that on the book.

Picked it up yesterday, started it last night. It's like lunching with an old friend after years of email conversation.

No comments: