Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Four days to go/Guerrilla Art

T-4 and counting. I'm really looking forward to the wedding, and trying not to obsess about details as I usually do when I'm eventing. The only important things are Ray, me, Terry the officiant, the paperwork and enough food and drink for everyone. Everything else after that is icing (on 5 different cakes).

What I thought about this weekend, aside from the obvious, is Jason Sprinkle. He was the artist also known as "Subculture Joe" that brought us some thought-provoking public art like the ball and chain on Hammering Man, and "The Bomb" that brought downtown to a screeching halt several years ago. I learned a few days ago that he died suddenly, and it's just so sad. I had really appreciated his contributions (the ones I knew of anyway) to Seattle public spaces, thanks to/regardless of the controversy surrounding them. It's tough to lose a creative and bold thinker like Sprinkle, especially because he was only 35.

For me, the smaller guerrilla art projects that sneakily and creatively make life better (and make a statement too) are even better than the big, bold, thought-provoking statements. A few years ago, I read about this great contribution to a struggling coffee house in a less than affluent part of town. And then there's the monolith at Magnuson Park, that was removed, and then I think reinstalled by popular demand.

Anyway, even though Sprinkle gave up public art statements in the last few years of his life, I think it would be great to go out and covertly create something in his honor, something to make people think or improve life. If I wasn't all distracted with my own personal/public statement this weekend, this would be my project for the week. I think I'll add it to my 43 things list, once I get around to creating one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You learned to embed links in your post! I'm so proud.

janie said...

Count me in on the sneaky secret tribute project, rah, if you need a co-conspirator.