Thursday, May 15, 2008

I've crossed over

Remember when you were a kid, or more precisely a pre-teen? Adults seemed to say the stupidest things and find the most annoying ways to draw you into conversation. For years I was proud of the fact that I could start up a conversation with a kid without invoking the subliminal (or not) eye roll that comes with talking to an out-of-touch adult. Those days are over.

Take Sunday. My thirteen-year-old nephew has reached the not-talking point of his adolescence. He's a nice kid...really into music and polite when he needs to be. But he really has to bear some silly conversation from his elders.

Me: "We heard you drumming when we pulled up. Were you playing on your own, or while listening to something?"

Him: "Listening to something..."

Me: "Like what?"

Him: "I don't know...different stuff."

Me: "For example..."

Him: "Just music and stuff."

Okay fine. Shortly after that...

Me: "So seriously, you sounded really good earlier and I'm wondering what you were listening to..."

Him: "I don't know...just some music."

Me: "Yes, I understand, but what kind? Who?"

Him: "Uh, like, alternative, some rock..."

Me: "Ah, I see. Who exactly? I really want to know."

Him: "I dunno."

Etcetera.

What would've been so hard about actually telling me the name of a band or artist? Did my line of questioning really reveal my apparent out-of-touch status? Have I crossed over into that category of adult? Sigh. At least (I hope anyway) I haven't ventured into the following phase of adulthood when you pointedly embarrass a kid without even knowing it.

My mom, while discussing my brother as a new parent: "That could be you in ten years, [nephew]!"

Him: (sighs, looks down at plate)

1 comment:

Jana Kleitsch said...

welcome to my world. I crossed over as soon as my son could talk. I am not sure if this is an adolescent thing or a male thing. My daughter will actually tell me how her day went when I ask her.