Saturday, June 23, 2007

You can't always get what you want

For the last 24 hours, all I've really wanted is Milk Duds. Golly, that sounds good, probably because I can't have 'em.

I may have gestational diabetes. We don't know yet because I screwed up the screening test last week. See, the instruction sheet said that I was not allowed to eat anything 3 hours before the test. The whole procedure involves drinking a bottle of Sprite-like stuff, waiting an hour, and then having blood drawn. I thought the blood draw itself constituted the "test". Not so. "The test includes the drinking part," the nurse told me. Therefore, my Cheerios and nectarine were consumed about an hour into the prescribed pre-test fasting period. Ooops. (But damn, who can resist nectarines right now!)

So I get to go back in and do the super test on Monday: after fasting for 8-12 hours, I'll need to sit there and have my blood drawn once an hour for three hours. Ugh...what kind of special torture is it to keep a pregnant person from eating for up to 15 hours! It's my own fault, I suppose. I'll try to keep myself distracted with a couple projects. Lord knows there's plenty to do.

In other gestationally related news, we took Ray's dad to La Costa last night. On Friday nights, a 10-12 piece mariachi band plays in the restaurant, all decked out in their swanky matching mariachi-style suits and boots. They must have a huge repertoire, because we rarely hear them play the same things from night to night. Anyway, I have never felt the baby move around like that before. Both her legs and arms were going, so much so that I had to stop eating as she was jabbing my stomach. She stopped as soon as we left the restaurant, so she must've been dancing along to the music. Hilarious.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But if you try sometimes, you just might find you get what you need. Ah yeah.